Should you choose the ferry or plane? Car or bus? Let's find out what transport works best for you.
Best Way To Get Around #
Choosing a best means of transport depends on your budget, time and travel plans. I recommend traveling slow to reduce environmental impact when possible.
With that said, here are a few ways to get around:
By Public Bus #
Best for experiencing local culture
Public buses are the most common way to move around Belize. Traveling is a unique experience and opportunity to see and feel the local culture.
How much are buses?
1 Hour Express Bus Ride
1 Hour Regular Bus Ride
Bus travel tips
- Always choose express buses over regular buses for faster trips
- Avoid traveling on Sundays or holidays which have less bus runs
- Know where to bus terminals are located to get dibs on seats
- Keep an eye on your luggage since overly packed buses can be chaotic
- Know the town names since some buses only have a sign of the final destination
By Taxi #
Best for short trips
Taxis are perfect for 10-minute trips like getting to your hotel or going to a restaurant. The cars are easily spotted by their green license plates.
How much is a taxi in Belize?
How much is the taxi from airport to Belize City?
Price per group
By Water Taxi #
Cheaper than flying
Locally known as water taxi, the ferry is the most economic way of getting to the islands. Locals travel by boat because it's a fraction of the price of a plane ticket.
How much is the water taxi in Belize?
Belize City to Caye Caulker Roundtrip
Belize City to San Pedro Roundtrip
Water taxi tips
- Tourists are charged double so get a local to buy your ticket if possible
- Purchasing round trip tickets is roughly 20% cheaper
- Know what time your flight gets in since last boat leaves at 5:30 PM
- Tickets are valid for three months after purchase
- Board the vessel early to pick a good seat
- Passengers can board earlier boat trips at no extra cost
- Choose larger water taxi companies for more comfortable boat rides
- Purchasing tickets online have an 11% processing fee
By Car Rental #
Best for exploring reserves
If you plan on exploring national reserves like Mountain Pine Ridge, renting a car can be cheaper than taking a tour. Keep in mind that Belize has high car rental fees and ridiculously high gas prices.
How much does it cost to rent a car in Belize?
Per day for weekly rental
Per day for standard rental
Do you need a car in Belize?
If you have a limited time and plan on visiting natural reserves like Mountain Pine Ridge, renting a car is a good idea. Given the entire country can be traveled in less than six hours, having a car is a superior means of transportation.
Keep in mind that both car rental rates and petrol/gas are expensive. Cars are also not allowed to be transferred to the islands by ferry.
By Private Shuttle #
Best for large groups
Shuttles are expensive compared to renting a car but can be convenient if you're traveling with a large group or family. It can also save you time if you're on a tight schedule.
By Hopper Plane #
Best for fast trips to cayes
Also known as puddle jumpers by tourists, these tiny planes take you across the country in a fraction of the time. They also fly to Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras & El Salvador.
How much does it cost to fly in Belize?
Pre-Purchased One Way Ticket
Standard One Way Ticket
This site is proudly ad-free which means bias-free opinions & suggestions. Your kind support helps keep it running.